Pheasants are a popular game bird in Britain, serving sporting seasons year after year. In the last few centuries they have been shaping the British landscape with woodland habitat.
Featuring significantly in our Highland Safari Collection, our Pheasant products are beautifully crafted from hand moulded cast brass finished in sterling silver plate. Produced in our partner factory in Zimbabwe, this collection celebrates Scottish game birds and animals as well as wild animals from the Plains and Highlands of East and Southern Africa.
In celebration of this beautiful bird, we thought we’d share 10 interesting facts:
Did you know?
- It is generally agreed that pheasants became common in Britain in the 15th Century having been introduced from Central Asia. However, some speculate it was earlier, in Roman times.
- The closest place to Britain that truly wild and indigenous pheasants can be found is in Romania, in the Danube Delta.
- The Latin name for pheasants is Phasianus Colchicus.
- Pheasants belong to the Pheasiandae family in the order Galliformes.
- Characterised by their strong sexual dimorphism Cocks are long tailed and colourful whereas Hens are dowdy in comparison with paler brown feathering.
- More than 30 different breeds of pheasant exist. In some breeds the Cocks have black necks, others have ring necks, and some are pure white.
- An old English Pheasant refers to a bird without the distinctive white neck ring.
- In Britain, Pheasants are released in huge numbers for shooting. The annual release is in excess of 20 million birds.
- Many other countries, including North America, also release them for sport. In the USA, domesticated so-called jumbo pheasants are produced as table birds.
- Prompted to crow by distant rumbles of thunder or gunfire. During WW1, pheasants in Kent crowed in response to the sound of guns on the Somme.
Who to buy for
The Highland Safari Collection is ideal for the home, providing unique and original showpieces for those dining and drinking. As well as being ideal for those who enjoy entertaining, it will also suit a drink connoisseur or for those who enjoy wildlife, field sports and the countryside.
Our Wine Bottle Coaster’s and Bottle Stopper’s are the perfect accessory for those who enjoy fine wine. Whether you’re having a quiet night with family or entertaining our Carving Boards and Serving Boards make a fabulous yet practical centrepieces on your dining table. With signature animal detail they will be sure to spark interest.
If you’re looking for a personal gift take a closer look at our teak photo frames with animal figurines. Although the world is moving online many of us still appreciate holding a real photo in our hands. Our frames will present precious photos in the best way possible.
Customers can purchase through our webshop or if local to Edinburgh please visit our Showroom.
We’re here to help and happy to answer any questions,
give us a call on 0131 445 3823
Or, reach us here: