At Hayward & Stott we strive to produce products of the finest craftsmanship and quality however it is important to remember that silver, like most things, must be cared for. Here are some tips to ensure that it remains in the best possible condition. Please note that all of our products come with aftercare advice.
We specialise in the design and manufacture of sterling silver. All sterling silver pieces from our Sterling Silver Collection are hallmarked in Edinburgh guaranteeing its finesse and purity.
The most common issue affecting silver is tarnish which, depending on how the article is stored, will occur over time. The matter can largely be overcome by storing silver in a tarnish proof bag or by cleaning. Either use an impregnated polishing cloth or give your piece a quick dip in a propriety silver cleaner such as Goddards. Frosted or matt finish silver should not be cleaned by hand but dipped and then rinsed well before a dry buff.
CARE OF GOLD PLATE
Gold plating describes an article, in this instance made from sterling silver, that has been covered with gold. It is traditionally called silver-gilt. All our gold plated pieces are made using 24ct gold and sterling silver.
All our jewellery pieces are sterling silver. Each item is stamped with a 925 to indicate that they are sterling silver and where possible they have been hallmarked.
Sterling silver may tarnish gradually over time. Tarnishing is a natural process that is caused when sterling silver is exposed to humidity and chemicals. Follow the care guide below and clean your jewellery on a regular basis to avoid tarnishing.
To remove any tarnishing and bring the shine back to your silver jewellery you can wash it with a soft cloth, mild soap and warm water. Thoroughly rinse and dry your jewellery afterwards and finish by polishing the surface with a good jewellery polishing cloth. Be careful not to over polish any gold plated pieces that may be attached to your silver item.
– Remove jewellery before bathing, showering or swimming as water and chemicals (especially chlorine) can affect the longevity of the gold plate or encourage silver to tarnish.
– Chemicals in make-up, hair spray, scent and moisturiser can also affect the beauty and shine of your jewellery, so put on your jewellery after applying any beauty products.
– Avoid any scratches to your jewellery by removing it when doing the cleaning, playing sport or other strenuous activities.
– Although you may wish to wear your items when on the beach or sunbathing, extreme temperatures and strong UV rays can cause jewellery, especially plated jewellery, to fade in colour and lose their original beauty, whilst sand can damage its surface.
– Take care of your unworn items by storing them in separate containers to avoid tangling and scratching. We also recommend using acid-free paper to avoid condensation which may harm the metal.
BENEFITS OF GOLD PLATING
– It is similar in appearance to pure gold but is significantly more affordable and requires little care and attention.
– It is also safe to wear for people that have nickel allergies or sensitivity to other metals.
Gold plate should not be polished too often. However it is natural for the gold plate to fade over time. To ensure the plating does not fade too quickly please follow the jewellery care steps above and only polish your plated items with a soft, dry cotton cloth. Do not use a polishing agent as this will wear away the layer of gold.
HIGHLAND SAFARI COLLECTION
This Collection is made by skilled craftsmen in our partner factory in Harare, Zimbabwe. All materials are locally sourced including Rhodesian teak, copper and brass. Our teak is from sustainable forests and is extremely durable. With its reddish brown hues, the natural grain of the wood makes each piece unique.
The animal figurines are sculpted by our time served silversmiths and metalworkers to original designs. They are then cast in heavily weighted brass which is plated in sterling silver.
CARE OF WOODEN PRODUCTS
To keep its appearance the wood will benefit from the regular application and protective use of oil; Beeswax, Linseed even Vegetable Oil works well.
CARE OF SILVER-PLATE
Silver plate can be treated like solid sterling silver. Clean with silver polish or dip and lightly buff.
If you have questions about the care of silver, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
SHOP UNIQUE GIFTS
Check out some of our gifts ideal for engraving: